File:183 - ζ1-2I - D24 (Bd Charm-50).svg has been deleted
Could you explain me why this file has been deleted : File: 183 - ζ1-2I - D24 (Bd Charm-50).svg ?
I know that it was a dupplicated file one this one: File:181 - ζ1 - D24 (Bd Charm-50).svg and so a redirection has been done so that this file name can continue to be used in Wikipedia (have a look of the section "Geology" of this page in WP-fr and expand the paragraph "Légende de la carte géologique."). Now there is red link.
I mention @Túrelio: with whom I had a discussion about these type of files (here: "Duplicated SVG files representing patterns and colors of geological formations of french departments"). The discussion could help you understand the purposes of these files and why some are dupplicates.
- @Poudou99: It is deleted as it is duplicate per the policy.
After that I have to challenge that a coloured swatch as a svg uploaded one for one is truly not a good idea for what you are doing, then one for every variation on a map that you need. Is that truly the best technological approach to take? Especially considering that we have templates, we have modules, coding and we have wikidata , etc. and you tell me that the brute force is the way that you settled upon. If you want a redirect, then feel free to create one, however, every step that you take on your approach should be help up for legitimate challenge as an ugly approach. Use wikidata, have the colour assigned through data fields, get some assistance for a smart way to do what you are trying to achieve. — billinghurst sDrewth 01:01, 21 August 2022 (UTC)
- The problem is not the colors of the geological layers defined by the French geology institution (aka BRGM). The issues are the patterns added on the colors ; some examples :
- These patterns are SVG files that I retrieve from the BRGM Open Data database and to which I add the colors. Here is an example of maps with patterns on the various geological layers.
- The small SVG files that I have built are used in the geologic map legends in the geology section in WP-fr pages for a french communes where those maps are added .
- Honestly, I didn't think that my method for building geologic map legends could be considered as brutal ( brute force). I am very sadness by this judgment and I apologize to the Commons community. I feel as I acted like a vandal. It was not my intention. And I never have such behavor since 2007.
- I don't know what I can do now to solve this patterns representation problem on the layers. I absolutely have to find a solution because it concerns nearly a thousand pages in WP-fr
- I thought that the solution of replacing duplicate files by redirections was the good solution. It seems not. But I don't see how I can do that with Wikidata.
- I'm sorry to have bored you with this topic. --Poudou99 (talk) 07:36, 21 August 2022 (UTC)
I have an idea to try to solve this problem of duplicate files and considered as not "compliant" with Commons rules.
Rather than generating a single SVG file for each geologic layer in a department (which can cause duplicate files), I could generate the different original pattern-color files and then create redirections for each layer.
For example : file name "S01_003 #FF0000-315.svg" (pattern: S01_003, color: #FF0000, rotation angle: 315°) and then have a redirecton file "011 - Ec - D38 (Bd Charm-50).svg" to this pattern file.
I have to say that will be a little complicated on my side. Because the BRGM Open Data gives information for each layer (pattern + color) and not the list of all possible patterns. I will have to do a reverse build operation (a kind od Reverse engineering). Could this be suitable? if so, I certainly will need assistance for the creation of the redirections and deletion of existing files.--Poudou99 (talk) 10:18, 21 August 2022 (UTC)
- @Poudou99: I think that there are way more competent people in the space of images and tying wikidata to things, eg. @Mike Peel and Tagishsimon: make the WD spin and twirl play better crosswiki and hope can offer some good advice; I am just an humble admin here, doing admin tasks. To note that the duplicate process is just deleting the underlying image and history and creating a redirect, so creating redirects as a starting point for a file with a different name is dead easy => Commons:Redirect — billinghurst sDrewth 12:37, 22 August 2022 (UTC)
- Thank you Billinghurst, I will contact the people you mention (@Mike Peel: or @Tagishsimon: )
- WD is something I am not comfortable with.
- I hope they could have ideas to create these patterns/colors in WD and associate them to the geological map legends in WP-fr, and that without creating those SVG files in Commons. --Poudou99 (talk) 16:51, 22 August 2022 (UTC)
- I replied with some suggestions at User_talk:Mike_Peel#Is_there_a_feature_in_WD_that_allows_storage_of_small_icons_representing_patterns_and_colors_of_used_on_french_geological_maps.. Probably creating redirects is the simplest approach to use given the current situation, though. Thanks. Mike Peel (talk) 16:22, 23 August 2022 (UTC)
Permission to upload an audio file
@Billinghurst: I wanted to upload an audio file of a historical speech of Muhammad Ali Jinnah in 1948 but I didn’t know that uploading audio file was restricted. Can I get the permission to upload the file. I believe it is under public domain of Pakistan and 74 years already passed after the speech. I collected the audio from a website that uploaded by a person who collected the audio from Radio Pakistan. Mehediabedin (talk) 01:27, 22 September 2022 (UTC)